Pages

Friday, August 20, 2010

Our Lakes adventure...

Wednesday we headed to the lakes to visit with our friends and to just get away for a day!! Here is a 'visual' of the trip!!


Our first stop was to get the air tested in our tires...then off to fill up with gas!!


Seems so funny to see the bean fields peppered with wind turbines...generating electricity from the natural source of 'wind'..

Love the farm setting, the crops ares so green with the contrast of the silo in the background!


We passed by this little pond, it really did look inviting! Someone said this picture looked like a painting, which is the effect you get I guess when you snap a shot going down the road at 55 mph.. ha


We noticed this house, it looked so unique and just had to get a shot of it!



The winding road heading out of town...wish the camera could actually capture what our eyes see. It's nice but not as beautiful as seeing it with your own eyes! I thought as we wisk along and saw the grass being freshly mowed how I wish I could share that wonderful smell with all of you. But soon...Tom said 'oh..oh "dead skunk in the middle of the road" and I soon came back to reality and thought...boy am I glad you all can't smell that..


And as we sped by all these cattle..again the smell was not as inviting as the fresh cut grass! I remember someone once said that this smell was the smell of 'gold'..in other words there was money in raising cattle. (not so sure that is true today!)


We stopped at a small cafe in Spirit Lake for lunch! They have the best home style meals. We got a 'hot beef'! I thought to myself..I am my grandmothers grandchild!! :) When we use to travel from our home in Iowa to visit family in Missouri (about 50 years ago) and would stop for lunch. "I" as a teenager always wanted a hamburger and fries!! Grandma always said I should have a 'hot beef' with them. It was so much better for you...etc... So here I am 50 years later ordering a "hot beef"! And of course ...she was right!!!


As we drove through the town we saw this house that I always just loved. When we camped up there and would drive by, I would always just drool over it! Love the fence and the hanging baskets around the beautiful porch. {Note the color of the house...it's YELLOW and you all know what my favorite color is!!}


We stopped to check out the spillway and it was running through very fast. I tried to spot some fish but didn't see any. So often there would be fish being pushed from one lake to the other due to the overflow.


We drove by the camp ground we use to stay at...just to check it out and our friends had just come in from fishing. So we had the wonderful opportunity to visit with them! (Oh yes, they had caught some perch!) They are really good fishermen/women!! :-)


Then we went to another little town where we camped for years, to visit another dear friend. Helen will be 93 in December and is still going strong! Her and her husband (who passed away a few years ago) were just like our second parents. Absolutely wonderful people.. We all have such beautiful memories of our times together over the years. [note the gal at the nursing home had be lean in to get away from the glare of the window.]


Well, it was 3 o'clock and time for coffee and cookies! I just had to get this shot of those two:)


The lake there is Silver Lake and it too was very full. There was so much snow melt and rain this year all the lakes are full to the brim. The wind was blowing and the lakes had white caps on them. Really didn't see a boat out anywhere.


Wind turbine up close!!


We spotted this beautiful car when we were coming home, in a small town just north of us. Soon we met several more on the highway. Not sure if they were all just meeting for dinner or if there was something going on that night. [My first husband had a car like this only it was blue with a white top.] They were beautiful cars back in those days.
Hope you enjoyed my story of our trip to the Lakes!!
more as it happens.....

Be sure and sign up for my owl giveaway!!!

3 comments:

Greyhaven Pines said...

What a fun trip! Those pink seats at the cafe are great. I lived in rural Idaho for a short time when I was a teenager.Whenever we smelled the "cow odor" one farmer's son would say,"It smells home-y" and we'd laugh.

Hugs to you.

Erin | Bygone Living said...

Looks like a wonderful adventure! :) Although I do despise those wind turbines... yuck.

Pumpkin said...

Beautiful shots! Looks like it was a lovely day :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails