Remember all those apples we got at the apple orchard?? Well, today I got in the mood to bake a pie!! We are waiting for it to cool so we can have a piece..ala mode...smile....
I found this recipe on allrecipes.com as the one I use to make was in my Betty Crocker cookbook from 1961..smile... So you can or maybe you can't imagine what it looks like today. That recipe is missing...ha So, I tried this recipe today!
Apple Crumb Pie
INGREDIENTS:
Pastry for a single-crust 9-inch pie
6 cups chopped, peeled tart apples
2 tablespoon butter, melted
2 tablespoons sour cream
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
TOPPING:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold butter
DIRECTIONS:
1. Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the apples, butter, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon into pastry shell. For topping, combine flour and sugar in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling.
2. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack.
My Grandma!
Yesterday, I was telling you about popping corn and how yummy it was and still is today! smile... Today I posted a You Tube video (there was no voice to this one) that shows my grandparents and some friends back in the 50's. (The friend is a Methodist minister) At the beginning it shows Grandma pouring coffee for her guests...sweet.... Then it shows Grandpa Neil popping corn, he shows their friends the jug of sorghum molasses that Grandma's sister and her family raised and gave her each year! smile...Now back to the silent movie...smile... it shows them making Molasses Popcorn balls...like they did each year to hand out at Halloween! smile... The rest of the movie shows different things we wanted to save. If you watch it all... there is a segment of Grandma's neighbors flower beds...these are peonies...he raised them and sold them to people for memorial decorations. Back then...people use to put live flowers on the graves, sometimes in fruit jars... Also..there are segments of the Goodwill Camp where kids went to and pictures of the Goodwill and the South Bottoms that you hear me talking about a lot! Well, I hope you enjoy this You Tube video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVoir633jOs
Blessings and I hope you had a wonderful SONday!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Many Thoughts of Grace"
December 22, 1936:
Went up town and mailed packages and cards. Went over to Gunnerson's. Went back up to Gunnerson's. Went to decorate at church. Bill teased. "Have a nice time last night? Did you mean it?" Barbara forgot her doll up to Hallie's. Got hankie from Dwight Leslie. Collar from Sadie. Powder puffs from Morey girls.
December 23, 1936:
Nellie came down to see if I would iron for her. She came after me at one. Ironed, scrubbed, washed dishes etc. came home about 7:30.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
more as it happens in the city...........

7 comments:
You pie looks yummy, would love a piece. Apple pie is my favorite. Have a great week!
I have an old Betty Crocker recipe like this, but there's no pie crust -- just the apples/filling and the crumbly topping. If that's the one you were thinking of, let me know and I'll copy it for you!
Oh Gert, what a wonderful old video! It is really a slice or two of history! Your Grandma is so lovely and gracious with her guests. She has a lovely smile. Making the popcorn into balls looks like fun!
What a wonderful garden of peonies!
I loved the children and the animals. They looked like they were having a great time. I wonder who that pretty dark haired girl was.
She looked lovely coming out of the door in her
pretty dress....and what a tiny waist!
You are very fortunate to have these great videos of a time when life was simpler and more innocent:)
Thanks for the pie recipe. It looks delicious and I will try it some time.
Good Monday morning, Gert!
It was a busy week-end here with a UMW event hosted by our church on Saturday. Then, I had cookies to bake for a youth event yesterday. Also, we've worked in time to watch some of the World Series, accompanied by popcorn and hot chocolate.
Apple pie is my husband's favorite pie. My recipe comes from Betty Crocker, too.
I will see if this computer will cooperate when I try that YouTube site.
I am just a little envious of your trip to the apple orchard. We haven't worked such a trip into our schedule at this point, and it appears to be unlikely this year.
Take care!
Hi, Gert...love the movie....took me back to my childhood when life was more normal...thinking last night how much I missed my mom and dad...and then today, there is your movie...your family was alot like mine...the pie sounds really good...was it as good as it looked?
Jan..the pie was good, but would love a copy of the Betty Crocker one..I think it is different! (thanks!)
Your pie looks yummy. I love to start baking in the Fall and holidays so I will try this recipe.
Loved watching the video and it was so interesting to read about your Grandma.
Post a Comment