Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We shall never forget...


Today, September 11th, brings back such terrible memories. It is burned into my mind, just like the day John F. Kennedy was killed. It's days like this that puts me back in time. Eleven years ago today, I was at work, walking toward the ice maker, filling my water jug with ice, preparing myself for another work day. (I always had a jug of ice water on my desk to drink all day..) The TV was on a National News Station, and I paused to watch as the first plane crashed into the first Twin Towers. I remember remarking...it must be really foggy there for an airliner to crash into that building. I then went back to my office, lifting up a prayer for those who would have been killed in the crash. Soon, word was out that another plane crashed into the other tower...the rest of the day is a blur. Working at the airport, brought more fear for us...wondering if this was just the beginning of an attack on our country. Before the day was over, all flights were cancelled, the airport was closed...the gates were double locked....and fear struck all of us! Word had it..that the President was being flown into Offutt Air force Base in Omaha to keep him safe...which is just south of us. But we found out later that wasn't true. But at the time, our fears were enhanced....

What are some of your memories from the horrific day?

Once again, my thoughts and prayers went out today to all those families and people affected by this terrible act of terrorism. 

We went to the doctor today for our monthly check up, and of course I spotted this beautiful 'yellow' flower and thought of my daughter. smile... I had asked her if she liked my new header and her remark was, "yes, it is so you...smile"... I said "oh you mean because it's mostly yellow??" ha...ha...

We had a good report at the doctors office, so that was good! Afterwards, we headed to the Senior Center for our lunch..they were serving broasted chicken again...yumm..as always it was amazing! You just can't cook for what it cost and what they serve! I had a nice lettuce salad along with the chicken dinner.. smile..

They also had a book sale going on, they must have been cleaning out the library..smile... I picked up a couple books for my son, not sure if he'll like them or not but for fifty cents, I couldn't go wrong..smile.. Speaking of books, I finished the book "Rose of Sharon", that my friend Rose Ross Zediker wrote, it was the third of a series of books she wrote. I told her how amazing to be able to run a thread through all three of them, and yet they are a great read on their own. God has given her such a gift!  I will be starting on my last Gladys Tabor book "Country Chronicle", so I'll have to ask Susan Branch what book of Gladys's I should get next...smile... She is an authority on Gladys Tabor books...smile... How about you? What book or books are you reading?

We had another record setting day today...with a high of 98 degrees! BUT tomorrow our temps are to cool off and be with highs in the 70's! Yeah!! My kind of weather for the next week...all 70's and the highest will be in the low 80's...  How about your weather, is it going to be nice also???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
more as it happens here in the city..................

2 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Gert- I think we all remember just where we were when we heard the news. I was going through McDonalds to get a cup of coffee and the server told me about it. I had planned on heading to another town for the day but turned around and went home and was glued to the TV for the next three days. We were living about 25 miles from the nuclear plants and there were police and armed forces moved in to protect the plants. Huge boulders (weighing several tons each) were placed all around the perimeters and there was only one guarded road to get in.

I am glad you got a good dr report and your chicken sounds wonderful.

We were in the 80s here today but it is supposed to be cool and rainy by Thursday.

Hope you have a good night- xo Diana

Betty said...

Good morning Gert! Or maybe I should say Good evening!
I usually take the girls to school in the mornings as little Luke is sleeping, but Daddy has the day off and I am catching up with comments etc.

I will never forget that terrible day eleven years ago. My husband and I were watching TV at night and the programme was interrupted to cross to the US.
To our horror, as we watched, we saw the shocking events unfold.
How could this happen? we wondered.
We knew then, that the world had changed.
We mourned with you.
It must have been frightening for you Gert, working at the airport.
As in your country, security has been increased at our airports and the government sent out a brochure asking everyone to be 'Aware and alert' for anything that might cause concern re terrorist activities.


I'm glad that you are looking forward to some pleasant days and that you are feeling okay, with a good report from the doctor.
Your lunch sounded great. You have so many places to eat out in your neighbourhood, at a reasonable price:)
Have a good night Gert and Tom too.
Think of you often.
Betty

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails