Pages

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

May Day--Is it Spring or Winter??

The robins are so beautiful! Love seeing them running across the yard and pecking away at whatever they find... I know their instincts are telling them it should be spring in Iowa!! And since yesterday was the first day of May, that is what mine were also telling me!! April showers bring May flowers and all of that...

But....look at my lilacs..covered with snow..sad...  Saturday my friend went out to pick some for her and I, only to discover they hadn't opened yet. So...I'm not sure they will ever bloom this year.. Just have my fingers crossed.

I always love it, when I can open my kitchen windows and smell their lovely fragrance. I'm not sure there is any flower that can beat the smell of lilacs. I know we were lucky and it could have been worse...but still...ugggg  Climate change?? I don't know..just that it's not right to have snow in May!!

Then here we are this morning.. The grass is gorgeous and oh so green. Rusty loves to go out on a day like today, and investigate and just hang out. But those rainy...snowy days, he just stays in for the most part. Sunday, that is about all we did. It was overcast and raining all day and...cold! The temperatures were down and the wind was blowing like crazy. It was a movie, stay in your pajama's kind of day..

Funny story... I looked out my window last week and noticed this house was having a red roof put on! I thought, 'boy that's going to change my view'!!! Most of the houses have gray or green roofs. HOWEVER, the next day when I looked...that red roof was turning back into a gray one... What?? How could that be?? Well, unbeknownst to me..the red was the tar paper they lay before they put the shingles on. Now whenever I've seen it before it was black... Did you know they now have RED tar paper???
 
Hope your weather is more spring like then ours is..
Blessings and good night...

6 comments:

Susie said...

Oh Gert, That snow looks all wrong on the lilacs. No I did not know that about tar paper. It would make roofing easy , since it stands out. LOL. So thankful the groomer took Rusty in while you were in the hospital. What a wonderful person. I think Tom was there too. :) Blessings, xox,love you, Susie

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Robins always mean spring to me too! And lilacs, there is NO flower that can compare with their fragrance, I don't think! I hope you get to enjoy their blooms, and that the snow hasn't messed with them! And glad that you won't have to see a red roof after all, so funny, I've never seen red tar paper either!

NanaDiana said...

It is normal for us to have snow here this time of year, Gert...well, not normal but not surprising either. lol I love lilacs. They are my very favorite flowering bush and the smell is heavenly. I hope heaven smells like lilacs. Ask Tom next time you talk to him, will ya?

I have never seen the red tarpaper here. Ours is black or dark grey. xo Diana

Shirley said...

Hi Gert, It has been a while since I have been to visit you. You had snow and we had rain. I worked over 22 years for a lumber yard and I have never seen red tar paper. It is a new one to me. I saw a red bird the other evening when I came home from the nursing home. Our weather has been all over the board from being warm to cold. I just wish it would warm up some and quit raining for a while. They talk about the 80's. I hope it is not that hot on Mother's day because my grandson's graduation is to be outside. I think of you often and hope you are doing well. Hugs and Prayers from Your Missouri Friend Shirley.

bj said...

dearest gert...i would LOVE a red roof.....:)

Mr. Sweet is in a rehab facility and his body is growing a little stronger ea day, it seems...his mental health seems to need a boost and I don't know how to give it to him...he is still so weak, he isn't interested in much of anything. watches a little tv during the day...has quite a bit of visitors, family and friends. it is so heartbreaking to see my big, strong, sweet man sitting in a wheelchair all day...not able to do anything...we go outside during the warm weather and he does enjoy that...I am so afraid he is never coming home........

Ida said...

Snow for May Day...that's just not right. I hope your Lilacs will still bloom and be fragrant for you. - Well I must say I don't think I have seen red tar paper before. I think though a red roof might have been a bit to bright for my taste.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails