Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Fireflies in the Garden and.....

Today I was outside and saw these pretty flowers! You know me...I love...love...love all of them. These sit in a barrel off our back porch...smile... Tom was busy the last couple days..watering the yard, as the yard people had put some fertilizer or something on it and it had to be watered within 48 hours! Of course we had  had a few sprinkles of rain but not enough...(sad) Yesterday, after watering the lower level, he mowed the yard. It always looks soooo nice when he gets done. But it is a long and tedious job for him. One he enjoys however. I worked a little in the house...cleaning up the kitchen. Have you ever used an "Eraser"? My friend told me about them and how they take care of everything! smile... so we bought them and 'finally' I used one yesterday. They are amazing....I tried it on the refrigerator, counter tops and other dirty items in the kitchen...smile...



Later in the afternoon we went for a ride and got us a "Dilly Bar" at the Dairy Queen...remember those? We hadn't had one in years......so that was a nice treat on a lovely 'summer' afternoon. We drove down by the river, I have other photos..I will share maybe tomorrow. But loved this one..shows so much summer activity. Campers, Riverboat Casino, boaters...the Veterans Bridge...sun going down on a lazy river....smile...


We've been seeing lightening bugs...flying around in the yard and garden in the evening. However, I was 'not' able to catch them in my lense...sad... Don't you just love them though?? Are they lighting up your back yard?? Did you ever catch them and put them in a jar?? One of the fun things we use to do as kids.... (couldn't you just see Tom running around out there trying to catch them for me????...smile...) That's why I didn't ask...as he would have tried..

He did however check out his garden yesterday and the deer have been wrecking havoc with the plants..sad... One day it was fine, the next they had nibbled the tops off the tomato plants and destroyed the green peppers... He  sprayed coyote urine on strips of material  and put a radio in one of his sheds down there. Hopefully, this will   discourage them from feasting on our plants... I hope if you have a garden you are not plagued with these creatures....

Good news...I had a call from my doctor...and the test I took last week came back "normal"..We are very happy with that news!! smile...

Hope you are all enjoying some summer weather this weekend...we're having rain...(of course---after Tom watered...but at least he got the yard mowed...and all of God's water is wonderful for the lawn, flowers and garden...) But this will be one more Farmers Market we will miss due to weather...sad.... Have a blessed weekend...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Many Thoughts of Grace"

May 31, 1939: Jack and Paul took me to the doctor. He says the baby should be here by tomorrow. Jack and I worked in garden. Took sick at midnight. Having pains. Jack went after Mama at 4 o'clock.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
more as it happens here in the city............

3 comments:

Nellie said...

Our fireflies are all gone for the season. No problem with deer in our garden, just potato bugs.:( I need to try that "Eraser." There are lots of places it might be applied.:)

Good news about the test you took at the doctor's!

No rain here this week-end, just more heat!

Stay cool!

xo Nellie

Susie said...

Gert, Those erasers are great for fridge handles. So glad your test results were normal.
we had a 1/4 inch of rain 2 days ago..anything helps. Enjoy your weekend.smiles, Susie

Betty said...

Lovely summery photos. Gert. Gorgeous flowers and a great picture of the river activity, even a 'plane flying over!
I'm so pleased that you have at last heard from your doctor and that all is well.
Grace did very well to write an entry in her diary, considering the great event about to happen. We are waiting for baby number four to arrive in my daughter's family. The expected date is 8th July. Jan will just be glad to have baby arrive. She is feeling very tired.
Happy days Gert,
Betty

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails